Hey Mr. DJ

Hey Mr. DJ

Hannah Derleth, Copy Editor, Staff Writer

Prom— the one event that every high school student can count on to bring a night of laughter, memories and their favorite songs of high school.

In years passed, students have considered the deejay’s music library a larger determinant of a successful prom night. Music tastes vary across the board, or in this case, the dance floor, and creating a playlist to please everyone can be a tiresome job. Last year, many students complained about the lack of diversity in the deejay’s music library, so this year, NHS student government was determined to change that.

Junior Mark D’costa, student government senator, made it his goal to reduce the amount of complaints after prom.

“Going into prom planning, I kept in mind all the complaints I heard about our 2014 prom. One of the biggest complaints that stood out to me about last year was the music. I distinctly remember hearing people say that the music ruined their experience, and that wasn’t something I wanted to hear again,” D’costa said.

Student government created a Google form accessible to all students to request any number of songs of their choice, and promoted it on Twitter. Student government reported that the survey was successful– approximately 200 responses were recorded from all grade levels. The requests were loaded into a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet was later emailed to DJ Indiana Jones.

“I was sketchy about how we hired him at first, thinking we only hired him because of his name, but he turned out to be a cool guy,” D’costa said.

This year was junior Alyse Millikan’s first time to attend prom. While she said that she had a great night, she still thought that a few minor tweaks could have made the night a bit more enjoyable for all.

“Overall, I thought he did a decent job. He picked some good songs, and most of his transitions were decent, but I felt that the whole ‘stopping randomly and asking us to yell the lyrics’ was uncalled for. The screeching noise he used to blend some of the songs made me jump the first time I heard it, it kind of came out of nowhere,” Millikan said.

Senior Jason Hoffman had heard the negative complaints from last year’s dance, but was hopeful that this year’s deejay would be more promising.

“This year’s prom was definitely a lot of fun. I do wish the deejay had played songs all the way through, rather than just the chorus, but he did provided a better song selection. He had plenty of throwback songs, like “Take Me On,” by A-ha, and “Come on Eileen,” by Too-Rye-Ay. I enjoyed his set, and I thought student government’s idea of a Google form survey was a definitely something they should do again,” said senior Jason Hoffman.

Melinda Miller, Dean of Students, was up with the deejay for a good portion of the night, and had the opportunity to talk to him about his work.

“I was with the deejay for a good chunk of the evening. He was telling me that he has traveled all over the country, doing sets for various events. Deejay Indiana Jones had an interesting mix of music, due to both his diverse music library and song requests from students,” Miller said. “I’ve heard comments from students, saying that he might’ve been a bit goofy, but he did keep the dance floor full all night, which is what I think really determines how good he was.”

Of course, with any social event, there will always be things that can be improved. One thing that students can agree on is that the efforts of NHS student government, made this year’s “Night in Venice,” a night worthy of Italian sophistication.