Whetting their appetites

Sarah Reilly, Opinions editor and staff writer

Jet lagged and exhausted, 24 students arrived back home at the Indianapolis airport after a 10-12 day escapade abroad in Europe over spring break.

The United Kingdom, France and Italy played host to the students as they explored Europe in conjunction with Mrs. Cecelia Burtnett’s AP European History class.

Due to her recent cancer diagnosis and treatment, Mrs. Burtnett was not able to go on the trip, which had begun planning in the 2013-2014 school year.

“Unfortunately, I didn’t make it, but the tour still ended up being what I dreamed because of the awesome tour guide, Susanne,” Burtnett said.

Technology Instructional coach Mrs. Christy Steffen stepped up as the tour’s leader, aided by Assistant Principal Mr.   Kevin Stuckwisch.

Through the Education First (EF) tour company, the group of 39 followed the lead of tour guide Susanne Danks from London to Paris to Florence to Assisi to Rome with an optional two day extension to Pompeii and Capri.

According to Steffen, the trip was a success.

“[It enabled the] learning [of] the different cultures and understanding [of] different points of view,” Steffen said. “It achieved its goal of whetting the appetites of everyone to travel more.”

The trip was so successful that another trip in two years may be a possibility.

“Even though she’s retiring, she’d like to see if her current classes would like to go again or if they didn’t go this time, go next time,” Steffen said.

Summing the tour up in one phrase, Steffen laughed and said, “Wonderfully exhausting.”

Sophomore Jake Jordan–Assisi “As Susanne was telling us about Assisi, I was getting really excited. When I got there, I was amazed! I felt like I went back in time with the narrow streets, original doors, wonderful view of the countryside. I would love to live there for awhile. During the stay, my dad and I went behind the village and walked in old ruins, followed what we believe to be an old city wall, and came behind a fortress. I was in heaven.”
Sophomore Jake Jordan–Assisi “As Susanne was telling us about Assisi, I was getting really excited. When I got there, I was amazed! I felt like I went back in time with the narrow streets, original doors, wonderful view of the countryside. I would love to live there for awhile. During the stay, my dad and I went behind the village and walked in old ruins, followed what we believe to be an old city wall, and came behind a fortress. I was in heaven.
Junior Annalia Hopper–Paris “On the morning we went to the Eiffel Tower, Paris was so foggy that the tip of the tower was completely hidden. The weather gave us a whole new perspective on the iconic Eiffel Tower.”