Overcoming challenges

AP Calculus teacher Mr. Giordano teaches his class. Giordano has never taught calculus before the 2015-2016 school year.

Photo by Photo by D. Elliott

Danielle Elliott, Staff Writer

Each year, Noblesville encounters a new student body. Each year, different people walk through the same doors and returning pupils have new jobs. Each year, the students come together to create new memories, friendships and face the biggest challenge of the year: starting the year off right.

New students, incoming freshmen, returning millers and teachers alike have new challenges and responsibilities to take care of as they face the 2015- 2016 school year.

The first day of a new school year is always hectic and sometimes even stressful. Having never stepped a foot in the building can make this experience traumatic. Junior China Aung is a new student to NHS this school year who too roamed the halls looking for her classes in the sea of students.

“At first [the high school] was very confusing because I had no idea what I was doing or where I was supposed to be. It was a little frustrating,” Aung said.

The size of NHS allows for an immense amount of opportunity. Students are free pick and choose their classes to get a jump start unto their future. Although students can study anything they desire, if they don’t study the ins and outs of the school, it can make this process a little trickier.

“It was chaotic and I was lost. I didn’t know a thing about the building,” Freshman Gary Kitko said.

As difficult as it is to get from class to class in a seven minute time span, the work in class is much more toilsome; as students progress through high school, the work progresses with them.

“With every new school year, the education becomes more advanced and hard to keep up with,” Aung said.

However, students are not the only victims of a new curriculum this school year.

“In February when I first learned I would be teaching AP calculus for the first time, I started doing assignments, I signed up for some classes, and watched videos,” Jason Giordano, AP Calculus and Algebra II Honors teacher said.

New classes may be a pain, but at the end of the day, all that matters is what everyone makes of these challenges.

“I just hope to have a good year and do well in all of my classes,” Kitko said. “I think I’m going to enjoy being at the high school.”

Everyone has difficulties and hurdles that they have to jump as they work their way to graduation day. High school is only as dreadful as each person makes of it.