Fascinated with fashion

Sophomore girls learn how to sew buttons during fashion class. The sewed on samples of fabric that they learned how to cut and rip.

Photo by Meredith Higgins

Meredith Higgins, Staff writer

Students interested in a fashion related career now have a chance to take the class they’ve been waiting for. Noblesville High School is offering a new Intro to Fashion and Textiles class this semester, and it provides more opportunities for the students who are anticipating a job in the fashion industry.

“Fashion class is a lot about learning the basics,” Katelyn Butz, the teacher of the fashion class, said. “We do a lot of sewing and actually making tangible items for ourselves.”

Some of the other things students learn is fashion history, fashion trends, and how to discern fabric types. They start off with learning how to hand stitch, then they move up to learning how to use a sewing machine. Students can create their own garments. All the while, they learn about fashions trends and history by running and looking at blogs.

Going into a fashion-related career can be very hard without knowing basic skills and terminology.

“I feel like whether you do merchandising or whether you do design, you have to have those basics. And I think this class is the root to getting that information,” Butz said.

Amelia Lynas, a high school sophomore, wants to be a fashion stylist or a buyer. A buyer is someone who works closely with designers and sales representatives to observe fashion trends, and figure out what new things will be put in stores. Most of her classes are the usual core classes, so she’s excited to take a course that she is genuinely interested in.

“I think that using all the skills that I’ve been learning will be very helpful and impressive when I’m trying to get a job in the fashion industry. I’ll be one step ahead of everyone that I’m competing against,” Lynas said.

Getting ahead is the whole purpose of the class being offered. “We want the students to have a better opportunity going into their future, and this class can help them kickstart that,” Butz said.