Performing from fresh to the top

Photo by Collier Wright

MacMillan plucks and plays in the second block Advanced Orchestra class. The orchestra’s most recent concert was the Holiday Concert on December 3.

Collier Wright, Features Editor

Few can claim to be one of the best at a skill or trade in a school of 2,800 students. Even fewer still can claim this at age 14.

“I am first chair,” cellist Logan MacMillan said, smiling at the ground. “As a freshman, everybody’s so surprised.”

This year marks the first in recent years that freshmen with the adequate skill levels, are permitted into the Advanced Orchestra class. MacMillan, one of eight freshman enrolled in the class, earned his spot as first chair, or the section leader, at the beginning of the school year.

“Before the freshman campus, we had freshman in Advanced Orchestra,” David Hartman, orchestra director and teacher said. “Now, I’ve rearranged it so especially the students who need more time get that in Beginning Orchestra. That allowed the middle range to be in Concert Orchestra, which is a better orchestra because of it. And then the ones that are taking private lessons and playing really well are in Advanced Orchestra.”

Five weeks into the school year, Hartman held an anonymous seating audition, in which MacMillan secured his spot among the top cellists.

“This is my fourth year playing,” MacMillan said. “To be honest, I only practiced fifteen minutes on the day of that audition. Some of it does come naturally but for solo ensemble at sectionals, to get gold, I know it will take a lot of work.”

Beyond possessing exceptional cello skills, holding the title of first chair requires an amount of leadership of MacMillan.

“[First chair] is responsible for demonstrating techniques for their section and everyone is supposed to be following them,” Hartman said.

As for the amount of work MacMillan puts into his craft, his orchestral involvement goes beyond the school.

“I’m also with the New World Youth Orchestra. They give me the music and I get the chance to play at downtown Indianapolis, at the auditorium, which is really nice,” MacMillan said.

Fellow cellist, Junior Erin Roberts, performs with MacMillan and sees room to grow.

“I do think that he is a very strong player, and he’s very good at what he does,” Roberts said, “[but] taking more opportunities to help the others in our section that are struggling more could help him grow as a leader.”

Hartman sees his own future for MacMillan.

“I’d like to see [MacMillan] grow as a leader and branch out to smaller ensemble in high school,” Hartman said. “As with all my students, I’d like to see him have fun playing music, of course.”

But, MacMillan has four more years of high school orchestra to grow. For now, he is just enjoying the music.

“It’s just the feeling of ‘This is what I made, this is what I did.’ It’s an accomplishment,” MacMillan said. “It doesn’t really matter that I’m first chair. It’s more for the music; it’s not about being the best.”