Focusing on the future

Kaylee Parkos, Broadcast Editor/Staff Writer/Business Manager

One thousand three hundred seventy-nine days. That’s how long it’s been since I stepped foot into the former freshman campus on my first day of high school.    

High school was much more than sitting in a classroom for seven hours a day learning complex calculus theorems and effective essay-writing strategies. It was much more than the five-hour workloads every night and AP tests. High school was the relationships and connections I developed, especially in the last year-and-a-half. It was the epiphanies about life I had at three in the morning night after night. More than that, high school was all the self-discoveries and lessons I started practicing in my everyday life.

Over the last year, my life has been extremely hectic. I went through a strenuous process of self-recovery from a 13-month toxic relationship that took over my life my freshman and sophomore year. As hard as that may seem, I am the happiest with what I’ve chosen to keep in my life.

From that relationship, I have learned the importance of loving myself. During my sophomore year, I struggled to think of myself in a positive light. The constant negativity caused a crippling battle against myself, and to be honest, I would not wish it upon anyone. I learned on my own how to look at myself and see the positive traits I possess, and by doing that, I began to experience an indescribable amount of freedom.

I have also learned the importance of making a difference in others’ lives. One of my coworkers taught me the importance of using whatever you have to help others. Even if it’s just staying up until 3 a.m. to listen to whatever struggles one of your close friends is going through at the moment, it can make a huge difference in their lives.

The most important lesson I learned in my high school career was acceptance. Whether it’s acknowledging and moving on from the toxic nature of my previous relationships, acknowledging the consequences of spontaneous dumb decisions or accepting people for who they are, acceptance has become a way of life for me.

So many people in my life have positively influenced my high school career. Thank you to the adult mentors outside of school who challenged me to become the best person I can be. Thank you to every single one of my teachers for giving me a quality education and for leading me to the right career path. Thank you to my parents for showing unconditional support through the good and bad. Thank you to all of my friends for contributing to the memories that reflect what my high school career has comprised.

To all of those still experiencing high school: Make the most of the next one to three years of your life. Challenge yourself to be the best person you can be. Remember to take time for yourself while still caring for those you adore and hold close to your heart. And most importantly, make an impact on the world in any way you can.