Ten things you didn’t know about… History In Noblesville

Hayley Lipscomb, Staff Writer

Noblesville is a place where many young artists and students like to spend their time. However, Noblesville is a lot older than it may seem. This city’s history dates back to 1818 when this land was purchased by the US government from the Native Americans. Here are some buildings that piece together the history of Noblesville.

Hamilton County Courthouse Square Jail –The Old Jail was built in 1876
-This style of building is Second Empire style brick and includes a three-story clock tower. The courthouse was built after the jail. This historic site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Judge Earl S. Stone House,1849
-Judge Earl S. Stone constructed this house and reflects Greek style of architecture. The house has two levels and is “L” shaped. It was registered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Hamilton County Courthouse Square, 1877 – 1879
-This building like the jail with Second Empire style brick building with a towering clock tower. It was listed with the jail on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

William Houston Craig House,1893.
-This house is a large brick dwelling with a Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne style design. It is located in the Connor Street Historic district and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Dr. Samuel Harrell House,1898
-Also known as the Harrell House, it is a two-story Queen Anne style house with a two story frame carriage house. It is located in the Catherine Street Historic District

Daniel Craycraft House,1892
-This house is a two and a half story Queen Anne style house and is located in Connor Street Historic District and was registered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.

Cole-Evans House,1837 and 1856.
-This historic house is located on 1012 Monument Street and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

John Kinzer house, 1975
-The only house not located in downtown Noblesville and has a small log cabin next to it.

Micah Newby House. 1880
-A two story with a Italianate style dwelling which was restored in the 1980s. It was listed on the National Register Of Historic Places in 1986.

Daniel Craycraft House, 1892
-This house house a two and a half story Queen Anne style building and has a three story square tower. In 1989 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.