The art of putt-putting

Abbie Klinker, Sports and Lifestyle Editor

Most artists dream of getting their work in a world-renowned museum, but few are so lucky. However, one of those lucky few might be sitting next to you in Algebra.

As a result of a successful contest entry bid, Craig Helming’s sculpture II class is constructing a miniature golf hole of their own design to be on display at the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s popular putt-putt attraction starting May 28.

“I saw that [the contest] was an opportunity, and I thought ‘Even better to present that to my Sculpture II class,’” Helming said. “We have in the curriculum a project that deals with site-specific works of art.”

So, once approval came from Principal Bryant, the design process began, adhering to the IMA’s theme of “the natural world.” But it was anything but easy.

Helming said he presented the idea to students on Sept. 16, and they began working right away. But with the water main break on Sept. 22, they were scrambling to finish the initial design by the deadline.

“I had multiple emails from students dialoguing with me,” Helming said.

He said that junior Dallyss Hamrick was one of the main students pushing to make the deadline, working on the initial designs in and out of school.

“I had two days to get the drawings done,” Hamrick said. “Luckily, it all worked out. Now I think we’re all still a little shocked and ready to get started.”

Helming had nothing but praise for his students’ hard work and artistic abilities.

“This is a testament to the whole art department of all the schools these students have been in. Recognizing the creative mind and how to brainstorm and how to work together and how to design were all fostered from day one,” he said. “It’s pretty remarkable.”

The significance of this project is not lost on the students, either.

“It’s still unreal,” Hamrick said. “In past years, I thought it was an achievement to have something in a display case.”

Helming agrees that this exhibit is an achievement to be proud of.

“[The officials] judged that high school students can be held accountable for this level of achievement of artistic ability,” he said. “There are architectural firms and teams of artists that are building these [holes] too. It’s not just a kid exhibit.”

No, it’s not a kid exhibit. This is a privilege that most artists can only imagine accomplishing.

“It’s everyone’s dream as an artist to put their art in a national museum,” Helming said. “Seeing that my students are going to have that opportunity at such a young age [is an extraordinary accomplishment as a teacher]. My name will be there, but they’re the ones with the designs. They’re the makers.”

Students and teachers alike are willing to endure the next few months of hard work, even with the stress of the high-demand situation, because, as Helming put it, “That’s the luxury of being in a contest: to be rewarded.”