Take One, Two, Three

NHS+welcomes+students+back+into+their+halls.+

NHS welcomes students back into their halls.

Kylee White and Maria Celis

The first bell rings, classroom doors hang open as frazzled students roam the tangled halls, searching for the classroom they’ve only seen through a screen. This was finally it, a normal year of high school for the first time in two years. There was only one question left: were students prepared?

Noblesville High School has finally returned to its roots, having all students 100% back to in-school learning. The junior, sophomore, and freshman classes, however, never had the chance to fully experience high school in all its glory. With COVID still an issue and student population at an all-time high, how are students adjusting to this new chapter in their lives? Some students are excited about coming back to school.

“I’m glad I get to start my high school journey in a normal way without COVID,” freshman Sarah Marrero said. 

The class of 2025 has a chance to begin high school in a normal way, however, both juniors and sophomores found their first year interrupted. For everyone, school is starting to get back to what it used to be.

Junior CJ Livingston is enjoying his first normal year at NHS, right up until March of 2020, when the world shut down. Now, he finds himself right back to where it all started, but this time a little bit wiser. 

“Being able to be fully back in school is really beneficial to my learning.” Livingston said. 

The only other difference is that face masks are still fully  required in schools. 

“I don’t like how it feels on my face and how it affects my breathing,” Livingston said, “but I guess just to keep everybody safe it’s okay.” 

Some agree that going back to the use of masks is bothersome after having to wear them for over a year, however, if students are willing to make this small sacrifice, Administrators say that  NHS can fully be back into full swing. 

“I would do whatever it takes as long as we stay in school,” Junior Chirstian Harris said, excited to see the halls full again. 

Students who found their eighth grade year cut short found themselves diving into their third year of high school as a junior without any prior experience. NHS finds itself filled with kids committed to learning and ready to start this new chapter in their life. However, there are still worries that juniors had as eighth graders entering high school. 

“I would have told myself not to be worried about going to high school because it’s not that bad. It’s just going up another year in a grade and the school is just a little bigger,” Livingston said. 

Memories and experiences are what makes high school such a big part of students’ lives. Juniors came to the party just a tad late, but with their efforts, Livingston and Harris can have the high school career they’ve dreamed of.