Dodging breast cancer

Leonardo Pilipis, Staff Writer

America faces a deadly killer, it isn’t ISIS, but it is breast cancer. According to breastcancer.org one in eight women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime, and 40,000 women are predicted to die from breast cancer this year. One Noblesville mom, Jeanelle Smart is currently battling breast cancer. The cost of breast cancer treatment is high, making the chances of survival that much lower for many people. So a group of NHS students asked, what can be done for Jeanelle?

The answer was a dodgeball tournament last Saturday, set up by the Students Against Cancer Club. “Every month we set up an activity to spread awareness or raise funds” said senior Brittany Mayfield, who is president of the club. This month’s event was dedicated to Smart.

For many of the participants, it was an easy chance to have fun and do something good. “I came mainly to have fun with some friends, and support a good cause at the same time.” said senior Josh Rindler. “I didn’t know her, I just heard about it over the announcements.”

For others, it was more personal. “My parents knew her, so we came out to support her.” said junior Clay Chapan. “I feel like anytime there is a donation like this it makes a difference.” Because of these reasons, both Rindler and Chapan donated and had fun while helping save a life.

While there probably aren’t many high school students that suffer from breast cancer, it still plays a major part of daily life at NHS.

“Usually the people who come to me have a mom, grandma, or aunt who has cancer.” said Mayfield. Breast cancer is a growing problem in the United States, but there is hope for current, and future patients. “Thanks to the awareness now that we have spread, patients have a better chance, but the death rate is still uncomfortably high.” Mayfield said.

This one dodgeball game won’t be the stunning blow to breast cancer, but for Smart, it’s a definite start in her long, personal fight against it. “I know that they put a lot of work setting this up, reaching out to vendors and whatnot,” Smart said. “It’s overwhelming how many people showed up, I really appreciate it.”