The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Falling for Fiction

Open your heart, and a book while you’re at it
Falling for Fiction

With Valentine’s season fast approaching, young readers might be in need of a good love story to welcome the season. And the season of love is a great excuse to welcome a new genre onto your shelves. Many different categories of books include cute and unique romances, and they can be anywhere from an adorable side plot to the focus of the drama. From classical to science fiction, it’s always a good time to branch out and explore new genres. Who knows, you might just find a new favorite. 

Every Last Word

This coming-of-age book is a great chance for teens to get an eye-opening understanding of how some of their everyday classmates live. “Every Last Word,” by Tamara Ireland Stone, delves into the mind of Sam, who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and is trying to navigate life as a teenage girl. Sam navigates falling out of her friend group, and having to come to terms with her life and her relationships changing, all while trying to hide her internal struggles. Things become a little bit easier when she meets AJ, who is the first person she really feels like understands her. This beautifully written book accurately brings attention to OCD, a mental illness usually misunderstood by teens and adults alike.

Emma

What is better to start off the spring season than a classical tale of gossip? “Emma,” by classic author Jane Austen, is not as popular as her other works, such as “Pride and Prejudice” or “Sense and Sensibility,” but no doubt just as enthralling. While many have heard of it, few have read it. Emma, the title character, is a young woman with a bit too much confidence in her ability as a matchmaker. This novel delivers a witty mix of comedy, drama and questionable romances, without a boring point from start to finish. 

Better than the Movies

“Better than the Movies” is a sweet teen rom-com, perfect for the Valentine’s Day season. It follows two teenage rivals, Wes and Liz, who have been bantering and fighting over parking spots for years. Liz and Wes cross paths again when Liz asks for his help trying to attract attention from her long-term crush, Michael. But as Liz and Wes grow closer, she starts to attract his attention instead. This cheesy rom-com is perfect for high schoolers who love a good romance because it is relatable to most teenagers, but still an adorable read. Author Lynn Painter perfectly captures a hopeless romantic teenage girl, along with her perfect match, making it a perfect read for any other hopeless romantics.

What the River Knows

“What the River Knows” is an enchanting novel with everything a fantasy book needs. This book is great at hitting those emotional beats, while drawing you into an adventurous plot. Isabel Ibañez’s novel follows Inez, who wants desperately to follow her parents adventures. When she gets word that her parents mysteriously died, she takes a ring her father gave her and heads to Egypt to solve the mystery. But Inez is sent on an unexpected journey when her fathers ring flares with ancient magic, all while falling for her new guardian’s infuriating assistant. This historical fantasy is full of adventure, with a rival-to-lovers romance sprinkled on top.