Fencing team slashes their way through NHS

Benton Wolke strikes against Sierra Macmillan. These two are the only ones on the Epee team

Photo by Photo by N. Copenhaver

Nick Copenhaver, Staff Writer

Matt Wilkewitz warms up his team. Both Foil and Saber sword teams practice using advance and retreat.
Photo by N. Copenhaver
Patrick Marine leads his Saber team in a game of Advance and Retreat.
Photo by N. Copenhaver

En garde! The fencing club slashes its way into the school. It has grown a lot since its start, almost 10 times its size.

Fencing Instructor and Foreign Language teacher Mrs. Cathy Dwyer says she is glad to see how much they’ve grown in the six years she’s been in charge. Dwyer believes that this is a great sport for people who have never thought of themselves as sporty. They accept

anybody and and are happy to take in kids who don’t fit in.

“Come try it out. Put a sword in your hand, and see if you like it,” Dwyer said.

Fencing is the perfect club to join for every person of every skill level, according to sophomore Allison Chew. She is enjoying her first year on the team. Chew likes the competitiveness, though she believes the club isn’t very competitive. Her team captain, junior Patrick Marine, has been fencing since he was eight. He was introduced to the sport when his brother began fencing. He followed his brother’s footsteps and has been fencing ever since. Marine said he loves being the team captain because he has the opportunity to teach others the skills. He leads by example and through friendliness, so people will listen to him. Marine wants every person to join the club because, as he said, “…fencing is a fun sport.”