NHS Cheer Goes to S.T.A.T.E.

Quinn Schlegel, Editor in Chief

Noblesville cheerleading has a different attitude this year. For the first time in eleven years, the girls have decided to once again become a competition team. For those who don’t know what that is, competitive cheer includes planned routines that last 2 minutes and thirty seconds, with judges scoring the routine. Teams compete all over the state against other high school teams. And the very young and inexperienced team at NHS is wrapping up their season on a hot streak. But they are not done yet…

Led by the three seniors on the team, the squad’s six juniors, four sophomores, and two freshman have shown the talent and willingness to work hard that has pulled the team together to result in an outstanding record. The girls placed second overall in sectionals, and third out of sixteen teams in regionals with two deductions, or points taken off their performance. If not for these deductions, the girls would have placed second, but even with the penalties, their score was enough to move onto state.

“Our biggest competition is easily Fishers High School because they are reigning state champs and have placed higher than us in every competition so far,” senior Ali Beaver, co-captian of the cheer team, said.

The squad competes at Southport High School at 1:54 p.m. this Saturday, November 8th.

“If we go out there Saturday and sell our performance I feel confident that we can come in the top three for Division A state finalist,” cheer coach Crystal Scott said.