The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s Snowing Cats and Dogs

A Humane Society Holiday View
Squishy+Waffles+peaks+out+of+his+kennel+as+Lily+Darling+strokes+him.+He+is+looking+for+his+forever+home.+
Photo by Morgan Trowbridge
Squishy Waffles peaks out of his kennel as Lily Darling strokes him. He is looking for his forever home.

Driving home from work one day, Lily Darling glanced over at the abandoned house neighboring her own. For years, the house had been unchanged and an eyesore, but today something special waited for her. Walking towards the decaying home, Darling noticed a malnourished dog. It was a moment that changed her future forever. 

More than about 600 animals wait to be adopted at the Humane Society of Hamilton County, where Darling works. Even after a 2021 remodel of their structure to accommodate more pets than ever before, the Humane Society is still filled to the brim with pets without homes. 

“We don’t euthanize animals for space, time, breed, age, or disability,” Darling, the community engagement manager for the Humane Society said.

Today the Humane Society is packed with animals looking for homes, with every available space a dog or cat, even though the organization saw a 98% success rate with adoptions the previous year. Despite its recent successes in finding pets homes, the shelter has been experiencing complications due to people from neighboring counties dropping off their dogs on the Humane Society’s doorstep. Regardless of the situation, they try to house their animals even in unconventional ways.

“We don’t need any stray dogs running around,” Darling said. “We just have been working harder taking dogs in offices, visiting rooms, and foster homes.”

To alleviate this capacity issue, the shelter has plans to continue to increase adoptions this holiday season. To spruce up the building, and to bring holiday joy to the animals and support the Humane Society, visitors can purchase “Pawliday Ornaments.” When purchased, these colorful ornaments are given to a pet of your choosing with a message for the volunteers to attach to the designated pet’s cage.

The Humane Society also offers a fostering program where visitors can pick up a foster animal from the 18th to the 24th of December and give them somewhere cozy to be when it’s cold outside. These holiday specials aren’t the only things supporters can do to help the Humane Society. According to Darling, those 18 and older can become a canine mentor. 

“They are volunteers that work with dogs that have been here for a long time or have behavioral issues or are recovering from an intense surgery. They will be paired with a volunteer, and that volunteer gives them extra attention,” said Darling.

For people who aren’t old enough to be canine mentors there are a variety of other jobs to help the organization. Volunteers 16 and older like junior Brooke Wilson can process donations, help clean, assist with events, and help with marketing. Wilson focuses on processing donations and doing intake on all donations made to the Humane Society. One of her favorite parts is getting to see the pets, especially kittens, enjoying the donations.

“They’re just so small and vulnerable you can’t help but want to protect them,” Wilson said.

Almost 1,000 people, including more than 900 volunteers and 50 employees at the Humane Society, dedicate their time to taking care of these animals in need of homes. Darling has been the community engagement manager for almost a year. Before working at Humane Society, she had numerous professions before her current position. 

“I’ve lived many lives. I’ve been a news reporter, done marketing, and I’ve done non-profit,” Darling said.

Before moving into Hamilton County, Darling lived in Terre Haute, Indiana. This is when she stumbled across a dog in the backyard of the abandoned home next door. After days of waiting for the owner to appear while she took care of the dog, Darling took the animal to the Terre Haute Humane Society. Eventually, she decided to adopt the abandoned pup and named her Mavis. After a year and a half of living together Mavis passed away. A year later, Darling’s current job opportunity opened. She says that for her, this was a way to pay her respects to her beloved dog. “Everything I do, I do for Mavis,” Darling said.

Looking to bring a special pet into your home this holiday season? Here are four furry friends ready to become part of your family this winter.

Photo by Nat Jasper

A lover of walks, car rides, cuddles, and being brushed, Sir is a people type-of-dog. He is trained well and knows the commands sit, come, and potty. Although he’s open to living with other dogs, Sir doesn’t love cats. However, he enjoy his toys and playtime. Sir loves to smile and is excited to share his affection with you.

Provided by Humane Society

Before his first home, Squishy Waffles was an outdoor cat. Two years ago, he was moved inside into a home with three cats and a dog and was very unhappy with his new company. Now, Squishy Waffles is looking for a home with no other animals. Even though he isn’t a fan of furry companions, he is a lover of affection, so much so that he prefers love over treats. Squish Waffles is ready to meet his new family and have his fresh start.

Photo by Nat Jasper

Although Brussel Sprout is deaf and can be startled easily, he is very energetic and loves attention. He is willing to meet other dogs and become their siblings. He is excited to find his forever home.

Photo by Nat Jasper

Winston is a lover of humans and their cuddles. Unfortunately, he has a retrovirus called FIV+ that weakens his immune system and deters people from him. That said, FIV+ can not be passed to humans and cats affected by the virus can live long, happy lives if they are given proper care that includes an indoor life, suitable diet, and regular vet visits. Winston is a loud purrer and ready to be loved.