The online home of the Mill Stream and NHS News - Noblesville High School

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Miller Media Now

Polls

What is your favorite album of 2023?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Pickle-Madness

NHS’ newest rising club has students running to the courts
Photo by Aide
Two Fishers students playing pickleball at Finch Creek park. They regularly play for fun.

Like a virus, it’s spread across the United States. First the baby boomers caught it. Then millennials. Since 2020, even Gen Z hasn’t been immune. This virus isn’t harmful, though—in fact, it’s healthy. But what is this passion that has both adults and teens so addicted?

It’s the need to play pickleball.

Over the past year, pickleball, a combination of various racquet sports that can be easily played by beginners, has experienced an astronomical rise in popularity, attracting nearly 37 million players nationwide. It’s even taken over the courts in Noblesville, as seniors Mark Berger and Maya McDonald have started the Pickleball Club. Teenagers at courts all over the city are finding a newfound passion in the simple, yet entertaining sport. For newcomers, though, pickleball – with its arguably quirky name – can be rather confusing at first.

“I basically tell people that it is tennis, ping pong, and badminton combined. The size of the court is the size of your badminton court,” describes physics teacher and pickleball aficionado Ken Dollaske. “It’s much more like ping pong because everything is combined and the type of ball that you’re using. But it’s still a racquet sport, so you still have those tennis elements.”

Dollaske first picked up a pickleball paddle twenty years ago, where he developed a love for the sport in his high school physical education class. He and his friends played pickleball as an alternative to tennis and now, he walks onto the court up to 3 times a week in a hyper-competitive atmosphere. He says that modern high schoolers are a little bit different compared to two decades ago, though. It’s common to see tennis courts swarmed with eager teenagers waiting in long lines just to have their turn on the court. But they’re not playing tennis.

“You’ll go to tennis courts in the community, and, twenty years ago, tennis courts were just tennis courts,” Dollaske said. “Now you’ll see courts lined for tennis and pickleball, so that way they’re much more versatile. You’re even seeing pickleball-specific courts being built in communities.”

Berger has transformed this spark of interest in the game into something much bigger, though. It’s his responsibility to transition pickleball at Noblesville High School from a hobby into a sport. His efforts so far have impressed club sponsor and math teacher at NHS Zach Bleisch.

“Mark [Berger]’s been working hard to get the club up and running. He’s been going above and beyond, working on grants to acquire paddles, nets, and balls.” Bleisch said, “For now, the club is working on setting up regular time to play pickleball both during AL or after school. As the club continues to grow, it’s our hope to be able to compete against neighboring schools or create tournaments.”

As a senior, Berger has little time to lay the foundation for the club. Even though he can only participate for one year, he hopes to pass the torch along to someone as passionate as himself.

“As for the future, since Maya [McDonald] and I are both seniors, we’re going to have to look for a couple people to take over once we’ve graduated. That’s the real next step after we get the club up and running smoothly,” Berger said.

Like highschool students in the club Bleisch is an avid pickleball player himself, which he says is why he sponsors the club. He’s fueled by the same drive to play, and can’t wait to lead a group of students.

“I actually first learned how to play pickleball when I started working [at Noblesville High School]. Some of the teachers got together to play. From that first day, I have really enjoyed the sport ,and I am looking forward to sharing that passion with students,” Bleisch said.

The club is already attracting attention from players at NHS, even before their first meeting in the latter half of August. Senior Emily Knott is one of the school’s many interested students.

“I started playing pickle ball this summer, and honestly I think it’s fun, because it’s easier than it looks,” Knott said. “I would say I play at least once a week. Typically it’s with my friends and sometimes with my family and neighbors.”

The club is Berger’s passion project, one he’s worked relentlessly since last school year in an effort to gain clearance from the administration. He and his co-captain McDonald had a callout meeting on August 29, as well as an Instagram page @nhspickleballclub.

Despite the challenges of establishing a sports club and the prospect of representing Noblesville in tournaments all over the state, Berger has many goals for his club.

About his plans for the club, Berger says, “We really hope this club can be a good way for people to get active and make friends.”